Issue: I'm trying to watch the news, but the website or app says I'm not connected to the right location.
How to watch the news using Hotspot Shield
First, please make sure of the following:
- You are logged into your paid, Premium subscription so that you can change your virtual location.
- Your news website does not require you to be signed into an account registered from another country.
- Your internet connection is fast enough to stream video. (3 Mbps connection for one standard-quality stream and 5 Mbps for a high-definition stream.)
- You have the latest version of the app (some older versions will have trouble connecting to our new servers)
- You have turned off Location Services on your mobile device, as follows:
- For Android, go to SETTINGS>LOCATION on your phone and toggle the Location switch to OFF.
- For iPhones and iPads, see: How to Turn off Location Services On iOS
If you are watching through an app, please delete your app data as follows:
If you are watching through an app, please delete your app data as shown in the guides above. It is also advisable to uninstall and reinstall the app.
Next, clear your browser's cookies and cache if on desktop: Chrome | Firefox | Safari
After rebooting, please try to access your news website as follows:
- Reconnect to Hotspot Shield and log into your account.
- Ensure the app says “Premium” and not “Free."
- Change to the correct Virtual Location and try re-accessing your content.
Please do not return to the streaming website or app without Hotspot Shield turned on. This will ensure that your actual IP address will not be saved.
Because IP addresses are randomly assigned through our servers, another potential workaround is to disconnect and reconnect until you acquire a different IP range. You can check your IP address at http://www.whatsmyip.org/.
If you are still unable to connect after this, please test to see if you can access the same content using a different device. For example, try connecting through an Ethernet cable on a laptop.
Then, please send us the following information so that we can troubleshoot further:
- The URL of the website or the name of the app.
- Your IP Address with Hotspot Shield is both connected and disconnected
- A screenshot of the error message.
For assistance, see How do I take a screenshot?.
Please be aware that many issues accessing streaming and social media websites using Hotspot Shield are often temporary.