- Go to https://www.hotspotshield.com/ and click on Account. Sign in if you’re asked.
- Go to https://hotspotshield.aura.com/app/hotspotshield/router
Go to the Select location dropdown and pick the virtual location that the router will use. Now click on “Download file.” The configuration file (config.ovpn) will be downloaded to your computer. (Note where the file will be located, as you will need this later).
- In the separate browser window, sign in to the Control Panel of your router For most routers, you’ll want to enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. Or refer to your router documentation for your router’s address.
Note: The user name and password for your router are different from the credentials you obtained from the Hotspot Shield account page.
- In Control PaneI, go to VPN -> OpenVPN Client menu. Then, click on Add a New OpenVPN Configuration button:
- In the opened window, you need to upload .ovpn configuration file downloaded in step 2.
- In the Description field enter the name of the virtual location that you selected in step 2.
- Go back to the the Router Account page (https://hotspotshield.aura.com/app/hotspotshield/router) and copy the username and password.
Paste Username and Password into the router and hit submit
Once the upload is successful fill in the following fields:
- Now click Connect button to start the VPN connection.When data is sent/received, you are connected.
Note: To double-verify if your VPN connection is established, go to https://whatismyipaddress.com or http://www.findipinfo.com/ and check if your IP address is different from your default IP that’s provided by your ISP.
When you enabled the VPN but for some reason, VPN cannot connect to the server, there will be no Internet in your network. Some reasons when VPN might not be able to establish a successful connection are:
- Your ISP does not allow VPN to be enabled Leased equipment, firewall, etc.)
- Your Premium subscription has ended
- Our server is unavailable for a particular virtual location
Restore your previous settings
If you need to turn off the VPN, go back to the Control Panel on the router and select the Services tab and then the VPN tab. Disable the VPN client.