Issue: Hotspot Shield is really slow on my iOS device. I'm a Premium member using my iPhone but I can't even watch a movie.
(Not on iOS? Click here.)
About Slow Speeds on an iOS Device
When you’re connected to Hotspot Shield or any VPN service, data going in and out of your device travels through the VPN servers first before reaching their target. That's how internet anonymity is achieved and why it's normal to experience speed reduction from 30%-50% when using any VPN service.
Sometimes switching connection OFF\ON few times can help the app search for servers that are closer to you (faster). If this step doesn't help with speed and you find your speed is being affected by 50% or more while using Hotspot Shield, please run the following test and contact our support team by filling out this form:
To perform a speed test on your iOS device:
- Start Hotspot Shield and connect to a Virtual Location (Germany or UK for example)
- Go to https://www.speedtest.net/
- Important: The speed test should be performed in the same location where you're connected to. Tap on the Server drop-down menu and set the country to the same Virtual Location that you selected in Hotspot Shield (Germany or UK for example), or the closest possible location to the selected Virtual Location.
- Make sure that you select single connection before you start the test.
- Wait for the test to finish and take a screenshot of the results
- Go to Hotspot Shield and connect to a Virtual Location that is on the other side of the world.
- Start the speed test and then take a screenshot of the results.
- While Hotspot Shield is still ON, open a new tab and get your IP address here. Take a screenshot of the IP and location that is displayed
- Disconnect Hotspot Shield
- Go to https://www.speedtest.net/ again. Test your speed using the same country you previously selected and take a screenshot of the results
For more information on how to take a screenshot, please check this article: How to take a screenshot