Issue: I can’t connect to Hotspot Shield on my Android device. I click CONNECT and it just spins. Or, it connects briefly and then disconnects.
How to fix connection issues on an Android
First, please make sure you are running the latest version for Android in the Google Play Store.
To help determine what's causing our app to disconnect, please make sure of the following:
- Your Android is not rooted
- To isolate the cause, temporarily disable any 3rd party app that may interfere with your connection. For example, a firewall with strict settings, or another VPN application or an antivirus.
Next, many common problems like this can be fixed by clearing Hotspot’s Shield cache and data. Please follow the steps below or alternatively you can visit the support page from Google here.
How to clear Hotspot Shield’s app cache
- Open your Android's Settings
- Find the Applications & Notifications area
- Select Hotspot Shield
- Tap Storage
- Select both Clear Cache as well as Clear Data
- Reboot your device and launch Hotspot Shield again
Keep in mind that clearing the app's data will remove all your settings, and you will need to log back in again, so make sure you have access to your username and password.
Lastly, if you still experience problems with connecting, please turn off Location Services and Smart Network Switch.
How to turn off Location Services on Android
- Go to Android's Settings
- Select Location
- Switch to OFF
How to turn off Smart Network switch on Android
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced
- Uncheck Avoid Poor Connection
- Go back to Settings > Wi-Fi
- Uncheck Smart Network Switch.
For more information, please see:
How do I uninstall Hotspot Shield from my Android device?