Hotspot Shield can be used on any compatible OpenVPN device that accepts a settings file for easy and fast setup.
There are several ways on how to use Hotspot Shield for OpenVPN.
Using Hotspot Shield on the OpenVPN Client for all platforms (Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, Linux).
- Download the installer for your platform of choice (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux) from the OpenVPN official site: https://openvpn.net/download-open-vpn/.
- Install the OpenVPN client and leave it for now.
- Login to your Hotspot Shield account by going to https://hotspotshield.aura.com/sign-in and sign in with your credentials.
- Once signed in, click on Hotspot Shield on the left.
- Scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click on Router.
- On the Link Router page, click on the Link a router button and from the drop-down menu, select the virtual location that you want the VPN to connect to then click on the Download file button to download the settings file. Save it somewhere for later. Make sure that you also copy the username and password shown on the page to a text document so you can get to it later.
- Open the OpenVPN client you installed earlier and it will ask you to import a profile. Click on File and browse to the folder where you've downloaded the file.
- In the next part, you'll be asked to enter further information. Enter a name for your profile, add the username you copied earlier and click on the Save password checkbox and enter the password you copied earlier. Click on Add on the upper right to save the profile.
- To connect, click on the switch to start the connection.
Using Hotspot Shield on NAS servers.
Please see our article on how to install Hotspot Shield on Synology NAS devices. If you have a different brand of NAS device, please make sure it supports OpenVPN and refer to your online manuals on how to add them or contact their support.
Using Hotspot Shield on routers.
Please see our article on how to install Hotspot Shield on supported routers.
Using Hotspot Shield on Raspberry Pi devices.
Please check the official guide on OpenVPN for how to install OpenVPN for Rasbian. Make sure you replace the steps in the guide to upload the Hotspot Shield Configuration file instead of the configuration file of OpenVPN in this guide.