The process is fast and simple for using Hotspot Shield for Synology NAS devices. Please follow the steps outlined below.
1. Sign in to your account by going to https://hotspotshield.aura.com/sign-in.
2. Once signed in, navigate to the left of the site and click on Hotspot Shield.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Router.
4. On the Router page, click on Link a router.
5. You will be asked to select a Virtual Location and other information.
Step 1: Click on the drop-down menu and select the location that you want to connect to. For this example, we're choosing the United States.
Step 2: Copy both the username and password into notepad or some other text editor. You will need this in the coming steps once you set up the VPN on the Synology NAS.
Step 3: Click on Download File and save it somewhere you can easily access it for later. Saving it on your desktop would be a good idea.
6. Access DiskStation Manager on your Synology NAS. Go to Control Panel > Network.
7. Click on the Network Interface tab in the menu.
8. If you have earlier VPN-profiles you need to delete them before proceeding. If you do not have any earlier VPN profiles, you can go to the next step.
9. Click Create and choose Create VPN profile.
Choose OpenVPN (via importing a .ovpn file) as your VPN Connection Method and click Next.
10. Pick a name for the new profile, and in the Import .ovpn file field, click Browse to select and import an .ovpn file. Make sure to select the file that you've downloaded earlier. Enter the credentials and make sure to copy and paste the username and password that you saved on notepad earlier.
|Profile name||Hotspotshield (or any name of your choice)|
|Username||Enter the username you copied earlier.|
|Password||Enter the password you copied earlier.|
|Import .ovpn file||Browse and select the file that you downloaded earlier.|
|CA certificate||(leave blank)|
11. In the next step, you need to enter the advanced settings. Make sure the settings are as follows:
|Use default gateway on remote network||Chosen|
|Allow other network devices to...||Do not choose|
|Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost||Chosen|
Click on Apply at the end to save all your settings.
Once this is done, your Synology NAS should now be protected and connected to the Hotspot Shield VPN at all times.
For further information, you can visit other guides on setting up a VPN on your Synology NAS on the following sites: