Issue: I'm trying to connect to an application on my phone like WhatsApp, Viber or Skype on but it won't let me connect.
Connect to Mobile Apps Using Hotspot Shield
IMPORTANT: If you bought your phone overseas, make sure the Region in your device is set to the country you are located in. If it is set to a different country, it can interfere with connectivity settings.
Next, please make sure of the following:
1. You are logged into your paid, Premium subscription so that you can change your Virtual Location
2. You are running the latest version of Hotspot Shield for Android
3. Your device isn't jailbroken or modified
3. Your internet connection is fast enough to stream video (if required)
4. You have turned off Location Services on your mobile device (see below).
- For Android, go to SETTINGS>LOCATION on your phone and toggle the location switch to OFF.
- For iPhones and iPads, see: How to Turn off Location Services On iOS
Please do not open the app without Hotspot Shield turned on. This will ensure that your real IP address will not be saved.
Because IP addresses are randomly assigned through our servers, another workaround is to disconnect and reconnect to until you acquire a different IP range. You can check your IP Address at http://www.whatsmyip.org.
If you are still unable to connect after this, please send us the following information so that we can troubleshoot further:
- The name of the app.
- Your mobile data provider or ISP.
- Your IP Address with Hotspot Shield both connected and disconnected
- A screenshot of the error message.
You can contact Hotspot Shield Customer support by filling out this form.