Issue: I'm trying to watch Netflix, but the website or application knows that I'm using a VPN.
How to watch Netflix with Hotspot Shield
First, please make sure of the following:
- The Netflix and virtual location must match. Example: if you're trying to watch the Canadian Netflix, then make sure to select Canada as the virtual location.
- Your internet connection is fast enough to stream video. (Netflix requires a 3 Mbps connection for one standard-quality stream and 5 Mbps for one high-definition stream.)
- You are logged into a Premium Hotspot Shield account.
- You have the latest version of the app (some older versions will have trouble connecting to our new servers)
- You have turned off Location Services on your mobile device:
- For Android, go to SETTINGS>LOCATION on your phone and toggle the location switch to OFF.
- For iPhones and iPads, see: How to Turn off Location Services On iOS
If you are watching through the Netflix app, please delete your app data as follows:
Clear your browser's cookies and cache.
After rebooting, please try to access Netflix again.
- Reconnect to Hotspot Shield and log into your account.
- Ensure the app says “Premium” and not “Free."
- Change to a United States virtual location and try accessing your content again.
Please do not go back to Netflix without Hotspot Shield turned on. This will ensure that your real IP address will not be saved.
Because IP addresses are randomly assigned through our servers, another potential workaround is to disconnect and reconnect to until you acquire a different IP range. You can check your IP address at http://www.whatsmyip.org.
If you are still unable to connect after this, please test to see if you can access the same content using a different device. For example, try connecting through an ethernet cable on a laptop.
Then, please send us the following information so that we can troubleshoot further:
- Your IP Address with Hotspot Shield both connected and disconnected
- A screenshot of the error message.
For assistance, see How To Take A Screenshot.
Please be aware that most issues accessing streaming and social media websites are temporary.