Issue: Some apps and websites work properly with Hotspot Shield, but sometimes I can't connect at all. Why do some sites work and some sites know I'm using a VPN?
Checklist For Website And App Connection Problems
Some common reasons why you may be denied access to content on a website are:
- Browser cache stores various amounts of data-A cache is a folder that stores various web elements such as images, HTML page copies, files, etc. This can create issues for streaming as it can cause websites to load slower or appear not as they are supposed to.
- You're not signed in to your Premium account - If you are not signed in to your Premium account in the Hotspot Shield app, you will experience the same download limits and access restrictions as a free user.
- You're not connected to the appropriate Virtual Location - Depending on the website you're trying to access, you will need to connect to the Virtual Location (country) where the content is available. For example, if you want to watch BBC content, be sure to connect to the UK/GB Virtual Location first.
- To isolate the cause, temporarily disable any 3rd party app that may interfere with your connection. For example, a firewall with strict settings, or another VPN application or an antivirus.
General Troubleshooting for Access Issues
Before you access content, it's important to do the following:
- Connect to Hotspot Shield.
- Sign in to your Premium account in the app. learn how
- Select a Virtual Location based on the content you want to access.
- Verify your IP address reflects the Virtual Location at www.findipinfo.com.
- Try to access the website again.
If you still have trouble, please clear your browser’s cookies.
- Disconnect Hotspot Shield.
- Clear your browser’s cookies. learn how
- Reconnect Hotspot Shield.
- Restart your browser and try to access the content again.
If clearing your browser's cookies didn't help, please try switching to another Virtual Location and then back to the appropriate one. This will connect you to another Hotspot Shield server.