Issue: I'm trying to watch Hulu on my iPhone or iPad, but the website or application knows that I'm using a VPN.
Access to Hulu or Netflix is reserved for our Premium accounts only. Please follow this link to experience our Premium membership.
First, please make sure of the following:
- You are logged into your Premium subscription so that you can change your Virtual Location.
- You are connected to the United States as a Virtual Location.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the app (some older versions will have trouble connecting to our new servers).
- Your internet connection is fast enough to stream video. (1.5 Mbps to stream. For DVD quality, you will need 3.0 Mbps)
- You have turned off Location Services on your mobile device, as follows:
- For Android, go to SETTINGS>LOCATION on your phone and toggle the location switch to OFF.
- For iPhones and iPads, see: How to Turn off Location Services On iOS
If you are watching through the Hulu app, please delete your app data as follows:
If you're watching on the Hulu app follow the steps found here.
After rebooting, please try to access Hulu again.
- Reconnect to Hotspot Shield and log into your account.
- Ensure the app says “Premium” and not “Free."
- Change to a United States Virtual Location and try accessing your content again.
Please do not go back to Hulu without Hotspot Shield turned on. This will ensure that your real IP address will not be saved.
Because IP addresses are randomly assigned through our servers, another potential workaround is to disconnect and reconnect to until you acquire a different IP range. You can check your IP address at http://www.whatsmyip.org.
If you are still unable to connect after this, please test to see if you can access the same content using a different device. For example, try connecting through an Ethernet cable on a laptop.
Then, please send us the following information so that we can troubleshoot further:
- Your IP Address with Hotspot Shield both connected and disconnected
- A screenshot of the error message.
For assistance, see How To Take A Screenshot.
For more information, please see:
Are there troubleshooting checklists for websites & apps?